0

It's a Love Hate Relationship

Posted by Ryan R. on Friday, February 27, 2009
Another long week down and many more to go. The blog has found its legs and is going strong. Watch for our Guest Contributor tomorrow. I can't believe the month is already over! Whatever you find yourself doing this weekend, enjoy yourselves and be safe. The Friday edition of Repptar's Prehistoric World deals with my love for Monopoly or my love to hate the damn game.

Don't get me wrong or anything, I love board games as much as the next kid. I grew up playing Checkers, Snakes and Ladders, and Guess Who! I even received a giant book of games one Christmas, that you could open to a variety of games. It even had a digital double dice roller! Not only would it stop the use of weighted dice, but also cut down all math skills needed to play. I was a big fan of most board games but there are a few that I love to HATE! Everybody has heard of these games before, they are:
  • Monopoly
  • Risk
  • Clue
This is the Trifecta of board games, these are the ones that have caused much pain and broken strong bonds of friendship. What makes these games so appealing yet so easy to hate once done? Come sit down on the magic carpet, it's story time.

Monopoly can be found in every house in America, whether it be in the closet, under a bed or in the trash can. This is an excellent time killing game that up to 8 people can play!* It lets players become big time business men that try to take control of Atlantic City. Pick a piece (not the Racecar!), roll the dice and hope you land on something good. Sounds like a great game right? Rolling, buying, and making a fortune off Baltic Ave. Well let me tell you, it's the most frustrating game ever created!

I'm all Gung-Ho to play with just the mention of Monopoly. I say, "Sure! Monopoly is great. I get the Racecar!". Every game starts off slow, buying a couple of properties, paying some chump change rent, and passing Go! An hour goes by and the deals start transpiring, this is where the game takes a turn for the worse. I understand this is part of the game, but every once in awhile you get a griefer who will not trade their damn property for anything! I offer them 2 properties and cash, nothing! Then I sweeten the deal with more cash, still nothing! I haven't checked the rule book for prostitution, but have you wondered why they call it free parking?

Dealing with griefers, rolling a couple of bad dice rolls and eventually having to sell your entire estate because you just landed on Boardwalk is an evening filled with enjoyment. As much as you would like to think, there is no strategy in Monopoly! Even if you would like to think there is, it can easily be blown away. It comes down to luck and the people you play with. However, after all this needless grief you can still see me at the table again and again enjoying the misery Parker Brothers calls Monopoly.

I don't feel like talking about the other two games... just re-read this twice substituting Risk for "Monopoly" and Colonel Mustard in the Study for "evening filled with enjoyment".



Footnotes
*If you have eight friends.

|

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Premature Quarter-Life Crisis All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.